Monday, June 6, 2011

Cashspiel Smackdown

Since you did such a great job last time, we're again turning to you readers for some design feedback.

Above are two possible designs for a poster. The task is to create an announcement for the National Capital Cashspiel at the Potomac Curling Club. Basically it's a tournament for seasoned curlers to compete and maybe make a few bucks. The design brief that the poster should be "very DC".

I decided to take two design paths. To the left, the political convention design, celebrating 19th century broadsides that advertised political party gatherings. On the right is the monument design, with a nod to the federal architecture of DC.

Since we can only use one, do you have a preference—convention or monument?

Click on image for larger view.

5 comments:

  1. I think the one with the Capitol on the right say Washington, DC. The one on the left is very political, but could very well be an announcement from Boston that Palin will be there on a visit to rewrite Americana history for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the monument on the right. The design feels a bit more balanced to me with equal visual weight on the top and bottom. The political convention poster is somehow too stripey for me and I lose the text. But then, I'm not a designer, what do I know?!?!!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one that hangs to the left. It just feels more comfortable that way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a tough choice. They are both awesome.
    I agree with Jeannette about the "stripey" look. It's really just the bottom white stripe that's the issue.
    Maybe the bottom of that stripe could be softened to blend in the flags.
    I know I sound picky. Wouldn't you expect that from a Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bunting one on the left reads more "America! Fuck yeah!" to me. The one on the right with the Capitol seems more DC.

    ReplyDelete