Saturday, June 27, 2009

Shop Music: Johnny Cash

This series celebrates what we're playing while we're printing.

You pretty much can't go wrong with any offering from Johnny Cash, but our current favorite is American III: Solitary Man. Recorded after his health started to wane, Solitary Man offers sparse and tender performances by Cash. On each track he confronts his physical frailty with an enduring resilience, producing an rather inspiring album. A highlight for us is June Carter Cash joining him for a beautiful rendition of "Field of Diamonds." It's a nice bookend to their earlier animated collaborations such as "Jackson," and a gleaming reminder of the inevitable passage of time.

Samples can be heard here.

1 comment:

  1. When I first heard JC had a new cd out, I tracked it down and bought. Took it home, and I didn't have a girlfriend at the time, was pretty much a solitary man myself and when I heard the standouts "I See A Darkness", "Nobody" and "Would You Lay With Me (In A Field Of Stone)" I knew my aloneness was okay, that I'd be okay. I don't pull this one out as much anymore, but its good to know its there if I need it.

    ReplyDelete