Thursday, May 28, 2009

On the Mailboat



We're fresh back from a sublime vacation to Portland, Maine. Highlights included getting messy with some lobster, taking in a Portland Sea Dogs game (complete with post-game fireworks), and happy hour at Portland's only rooftop lounge™. Plus we endured a long day of city hiking that would rival any aboriginal's walkabout. We spotted this impressive hand lettering aboard the mail boat that ferries passengers and cargo around Casco Bay. It's reassuring to know that a fading art form is alive and well in lobsterland.

2 comments:

  1. The lettering is beautiful to look at. I remember studying sign painting at a school in Boston. This was in the 70's. The "master" was pretty elderly and his hands shook from old age. But when his brush hit the lettering surface it was as steady as ever....without a maulstick.

    I, too, regret the lost art of hand lettering with a brush. I'm sure it was a pleasure to see it again in Portland. I think I might just pull out my old brushes. Thank's for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just like to say how much I appreciate the fine artistry that goes into this hand lettering....

    ReplyDelete